Day Twenty Five

Today's miles: 2
Total miles: 369

It was extremely cold last night, one of the coldest on the trail so far. Since we only had two miles to go into Wrightwood, we enjoyed the ability to sleep in a little this morning. But we had been talking about pancake breakfasts for so long that it was driving us to get moving.

We covered the two miles in an hour and and stood by the road waiting for a hitch. There was hardly any traffic but we got picked up by a nice lady named Ruby who said she has been shuttling hikers around all week. She dropped us off in the middle of town, which was small and easily walkable, and we hurried to the nearest brunch spot we could find. After filling our bellies with tons of pancakes, eggs and sausage, we went in search of a place to stay. We quickly found a hiker friendly motel with individual cabin-like rooms for a cheap rate. Our room slept three, so we got Lunchbox to split the cost with us. The whole strip of rooms was soon filled with hikers, and everyone was enjoying sitting on the porches and chatting with each other.

Katie and I had a resupply to do, so we walked to the grocery store, loaded up on food, and carefully repackaged everything into our food bags. Then we took showers, dropped off laundry, made phone calls, and went in search of more places to stuff our faces full of food. We found a Mexican buffet and had second lunch there with Rotisserie and Papa Bear.

On our way back to the hotel, we noticed two people walking into town and Katie and I started jumping up and down when we realized who they were.
"Wocka Wocka and Giddyup!"
Rotisserie hadn't met them yet, so she was surprised by everyone's excitement. When we introduced them, Wocka Wocka said, "oh, I've heard of you! Rotisserie! You turn in your sleep! it creepy that I know that?"

Papa Bear told Giddyup about the Skittles he has been leaving for him on trail, and Giddyup said, "oh, those were from you? They were delicious!"

Unfortunately, Wocka Wocka and Giddyup weren't going to hike out with us tomorrow. Wocka's blisters had gotten infected and she was going to have to spend a week off trail taking antibiotics. We hoped to catch her next week when she rejoined Giddyup.

We spent the rest of the evening relaxing. Time in town can be stressful because there's so much to do to get ready to be back on trail, but there are moments when we can just sit and do nothing, and those moments are lovely.