January, while completely awesome and up-to-my-ears-busy-with-orders, didn't leave me much time to add anything new to the shop. I was spending all my time trying to figure out how to stream-line my shipping procedures to make life easier... I was going through 800-envelope boxes in a week! Next year I'm definitely going to have to order supplies in much larger quantities than expected.
With Easter, Mother's Day and wedding season on the way (apparently a lot of people get engaged on Valentine's Day, because I've been getting a lot of "bridesmaid card" hits in my shop) there are plenty of opportunities for new designs. Here are the latest in the shop:
Here's a re-designed version of one of last year's Mother's Day cards:
This one came to me in a burst of inspiration while watching Back to the Future on a long 6-hour flight back to Portland:
This is an iteration of a custom New York city card that a customer requested:
Speaking of Valentine's Day craziness, I've been keeping tabs on where my cards get shipped. For a while I had a map on my craft room cork board where I pinned order locations, but I haven't been keeping up with it lately. Instead, I keep a running tally in a spreadsheet that shows every state and country that I've shipped an order. For a long time I had every state except Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Montana, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Over January's rush, though, I managed to get even those stragglers and have now officially sent cards to all fifty states! (Woo!)
Just for fun (and because I like collecting stats), here are the Darkroom and Dearly shop stats for January 2013!
- I've mailed orders to all fifty states plus Puerto Rico! The highest number of orders goes to California (by a large margin), New York and Texas. The next highest in sales falls to Illinois, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Florida, North Carolina, Washington, and Massachusetts.
- The East and West coast make up a majority of shoppers. With the exception of Texas and Illinois, I get very few midwest orders.
- International order make up about 25% of my total sales.
- The most frequent international orders come from the UK (mostly England, but also Scotland and Wales) and Australia.
- I have counted over 67 different counties in the UK that my orders have been sent to (some more frequently than others!) My favorite county name thus far is: "Dumfries and Galloway" (in Scotland). The most common is probably Cheshire or Lancashire (in England).
- 23 of the 67 counties I have listed for the UK end in "shire." The longest being "West Dunbartonshire" and "Northamptonshire."
- I have shipped orders to all of the Australian states/territories, the most common being Victoria and New South Wales.
- Other countries I have shipped orders to include:
- Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, and Switzerland.
- Highest day of sales on record was Wednesday, January 30, 2013, followed closely by Tuesday, February 5, 2013. (Sadly I closed my shop on Feb 6! I wonder if I would have beaten my highest record if I hadn't gone on vacation??)